Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) is the standard for secure single sign on (SSO), and is the basis of SSO products from Okta, OneLogin, Microsoft, Bitium, Ping Identity, and more. Bonusly fully supports the SAML v2.0 standard, making it easy to add a layer of security and convenience to your Bonusly program.
SAML Single Sign On is available as part of our Enterprise Integrations package, which is included in certain premium plans, and is also available as an add-on to our basic plan.
There are two ways to set up SAML Single Sign On: Automatic configuration, and manual configuration. We strongly recommend automatic configuration, if it is supported by your identity provider.
Here is some basic terminology to help you in this guide:
- Identity Provider (IdP): The software/service that verifies the identity of your users. For example, Okta, OneLogin, Active Directory, etc.
- Service Provider (SP): Bonusly.
- Metadata URL: URL for the provider’s metadata. Both the IdP and the SP should have a Metadata URL.
- Issuer (Entity ID): A unique string that identifies the provider issuing a SAML request. According to the SAML specification, the string should be a URL, though not all providers respect this. Not required by all providers.
- Consumer URL: The Bonusly (SP) URL that will receive SAML requests from your IdP.
- IdP SSO target URL: The IdP URL that will receive SAML requests from Bonusly (the SP).
Automatic configuration via metadata exchange is by far the easiest way to set up SAML SSO. Simply check the box for “Automatically Configure from Metadata” and provide the Metadata URL and Issuer for your IdP. Leave the rest of the fields blank.
Leave all other fields blank, and save the settings.
Your IdP may require Bonusly’s metadata URL. You can retrieve Bonusly's (SP) metadata URL by right-clicking on the metadata link:
If automatic configuration is not supported by your IdP, then try manual configuration.
Uncheck the box for “Automatically Configure from Metadata”.
Fill in the following fields:
- IdP Issuer (Entity ID)
- IdP SSO target URL
- X.509 Cert OR Cert Fingerprint (Bonusly will automatically generate the fingerprint if the full X.509 certificate is provided.)
Save the settings.
Testing Single Sign On
Once you've configured SSO, you can test it as followed:
- Log out of Bonusly
- Log in to your IdP (e.g. Okta, OneLogin, etc)
- Click on the Bonusly app in your app panel
- Log out of Bonusly
- Visit the URL https://bonus.ly/saml/APP_ID/index (where APP_ID is the "App Id" provided on the SSO configuration page in Bonusly)
Restricting Login Methods
Once you have tested SSO and verified that it is working, you can restrict sign on methods for your Bonusly account to require that users authenticate via SSO. This is more secure and makes it so that your employees don’t need to remember passwords for Bonusly.
To restrict to SAML SSO only:
- Go to Company Settings.
- Click “Show advanced settings”.
- Check “Restrict to Single Sign On”.
- Save Settings